Green onyx stone and emerald are two of the most popular green gemstones in the world. They are both valued for their stunning green colour and are often compared due to their similar appearance. Despite these similarities, there are distinct differences between these two stones that are important to understand for those interested in purchasing. In this article, we’ll explore green onyx stone vs emerald, the differences in physical properties, origin and mining, value and uses, care and maintenance and more between green onyx stone and emerald.
History of Green Onyx Stone Vs Emerald
Green Onyx Stone
- Green Onyx stone is a quartz type first discovered in Ancient Greece.
- It has become famous throughout Europe due to its elegant green colour and crystal formations.
- Green Onyx can be found in many parts of the world including India, Brazil, Mexico, and Russia.
- Emerald is a type of beryl that was first discovered in Ancient Egypt during the reign of Cleopatra.
- Emerald has been treasured by many cultures throughout history and has become one of the most popular gemstones today.
- Emeralds can be found worldwide in Colombia, Brazil, India, Africa, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Physical Properties of Green Onyx Stone Vs Emerald
Green Onyx Stone
- Green onyx stone is a variety of chalcedony and is known for its bright green colour.
- It is a relatively hard stone, with a rating of 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale, and has a waxy lustre.
- Green onyx is often used for decorative purposes.
- Emerald, on the other hand, is a variety of beryl and is known for its rich green colour.
- It is a slightly softer stone than green onyx, with a rating of 7.5-8 on the Mohs scale, and has a vitreous lustre.
- Emerald is used for astrological benefits.s
Value and Uses of Green Onyx Stone and Emerald
The value of green onyx stone and emerald varies depending on a number of factors, including the quality of the stone, its size, and its origin. Emerald is generally considered to be more valuable than green onyx due to its rarity and popularity in fine jewellery. Green onyx is often used as a more affordable alternative to emeralds in jewellery and other decorative items. In addition to jewellery, both stones have a variety of traditional and modern uses, including in sculpture, mosaics, and other decorative arts.
Care and Maintenance of Green Onyx Stone and Emerald
Both green onyx stone and emerald require proper care and maintenance in order to retain their beauty and value. It is important to clean them regularly, store them carefully, and protect them from exposure to heat and chemicals. However, emerald is generally considered to be more fragile than green onyx and requires more delicate handling and care.
While green onyx stones and emeralds share a similar green colour, they are distinct gemstones with unique properties, origins, and uses. Understanding the differences between the two is important for anyone interested in working with or purchasing gemstones. Whether you’re looking for a more affordable alternative to emerald or want to invest in a rare and valuable stone, both green onyx and emerald offer a variety of options and possibilities for any lover of gemstones.